‘Hans Egede’ was a wooden auxiliary 3-masted vessel, built in 1922 by J. Th. Jorgensen at Thuro, Denmark. She was named after Dano-Norwegian explorer and missionary Hans Egede (1686-1758). Apparently, the ship was reported damaged by fire 13/4′ west of the North Hinder light vessel on the 21st August 1955. She was towed to Dover where the fire was extinguished. In 1957 she passed into the ownership of the Atlas Diesel Co. and was towed out of Dover by the tug ‘Westercock’. She then spent some years in the Medway as a coal and/or grain hulk.
She was then towed to Cubits Town on the Thames. Unfortunately, as the tug ‘Fossa’ from Gravesend was towing her up Sea Reach, the strain on the structure – which had become weakened over the years – and caused her to take in water and sink. After grounding on the Blyth Sands she was beached at Cliffe.
[Text excerpt adapted from A Pictorial History of Cooling and Cliffe by Allan Cherry, courtesy of David Brown.]
Here is a small gallery from Saturday night’s visit to Dungeness.